Thursday, October 30, 2014

Give me wings !

Continuing with the assembly of the goat, yesterday I put together the left wing according to the instructions sent by Michael. The instructions are no more than a page of basic instructions (no pictures).

Using the original Mike Sandling goat 1 drawings I was able to figure out most of the assembly. The few things that left me puzzled where answered by Michael (via Jon) that same afternoon.

There are a few differences between the original and this Super Goat. One is that the X shaped drag cables on the first section of the wing, have been replaced by a single drag tube. Another is that the second set of drag cables (the one on the second section of the wing) are gone altogether! I am guessing that the new style of rigid foam ribs will give good structural integrity to the assembled wing. The new style ribs are made out of a foam board called Pactiv Extruded Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation. I looked at the material info on them and they seem to have pretty good compression resistance. the way they are   installed is glued *and* wrapped by fiberglass and aluminum tape. I am pretty sure this should create a pretty good strength against expansion.

We also assembled and tested the rotissery wood setup made to help install the ribs (neat!)

Time ran out, so we stored the wing as it was (all put together with clecos ) on the hanger, and left for lunch. Tomorrow I will be testing the fabric glue and the ribs glue to see ho that works.





No comments:

Post a Comment